Bad moods are the worst, aren’t they? Especially the ones that you just wake up with and can’t shake. Those are the ones I really dislike. But as I’ve come to learn over the years, you can either make or break your own happiness. And while sometimes it isn’t easy, no matter the circumstances, you can choose to be happy — or at least not miserable. So when I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, here are my five favorite things to do to break the bad-feeling mojo!
1. Buy fresh flowers. They’re bright and cheery, and it’s just hard to feel anything but grateful when you look at them. So when I’m feeling low, I treat myself to a fresh bouquet of Gerbera Daisies or daffodils! They always puts a smile on my face, and it feels like a real luxury that I get to enjoy for days at a time.
2. Write a feel-good note to someone else. The easiest way to bust a bad mood is to do something positive and loving for someone else. Whether it’s to a family member, friend or even a neighbor, sending a note of encouragement or a simple thank-you-for-being-you letter is a great way to tap into your very own positive vibe.
3. Go for a run or a walk. Exercise is seriously my reset button. Just a few miles out jogging and all of a sudden things don’t feel so bad. Problems are smaller, my energy is higher and the world just seems sunnier. (And, yes, you too can be a runner!)
4. Meditate. If there’s a bad mood I can’t shake, many times I’ll hit my meditation pillow or yoga mat for a few minutes of stillness. While some days you just feel off, other times being in a bad mood can mean that I’m not fully dealing with some emotion. So just a couple minutes of quiet allows me to get to the root of the emotion, feel it and then get on with my day from a better, healthier and more positive headspace.
5. Read something inspiring. I am a sucker for feel-good books and websites! And when I need a pick-me-up, I will turn a new page by literally opening a book and reading a new page. From self-help books to inspiring biographies to websites with positive quotes, I seek out something that will help me to see my life in a new uplifting way.
How do you bust out of a bad mood?